Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Stay In It?

When we rush something time becomes an obstacle instead of a gift. When I booked and planned our itinerary for Italy I had no clue what I was really getting myself into at all. Italy is foreign to me both because it's overseas and because I had never been there. But traveling is an adventure.

However; when your adventures revolve around photography in a foreign land that you've never had any assimilation with before then you're asking for it. As I wander through my Italy archive I'm constantly looking for new images. I have thousands of images, but I'm still kind of pissed off at myself. I'm pissed because I didn't spend enough time in any one location to really enjoy it photographically. I never do when I plan these excursions. Everything to me is a day trip. If I like it I'll make it back. 

But Italy is a bit different. It's over 13 hours away on a plane and it cost mucho euros to get to by plane, train, and automobile. I have regrets. One of them is that I didn't really connect with the Tuscany region as much as I thought I would have when I booked it. I really thought these rolling hills and vineyards would be stunning. But, I didn't have enough time to explore the area. And for that I'm sorry. But, now I know that since this beautiful little city of Montalcino (which I didn't actually take any photos of because I was so hungry) haunts me in my dreams that I'll have to go back eventually. 

Maybe I didn't need to take photos of the little city we wandered through because I remember how I felt and how it felt to walk through this age old town. It reminds me of the scene in "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" where Walter asks Sean O'Connell when he's going to take the shot and O'Connell replies, "Sometimes I don't. If I like a moment, for me, personally, I don't like to have the distraction of the camera. I just want to stay in it." 

The few images I did capture were along the walls of Montalcino. Montalcino is the town that haunts me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment